The graphic designers who make the advertisement or OHM (Out of Home Media) need to know about how to make the sign for advertising. Especially, making the large format of sign or billboard.
Basically, I assume that most of designers use photoshop to create the graphic for the big sign anyway, if those signs or banner have got the large format what should we do?
1. Firstly, I would like to make the 10×5 m sign, let’s open Illustrator and set the parameter follow the screenshot below. Please notice, I set the scale to be 10×5 cm and color mode is CMYK
2. Then create the graphic inside the artboard
3. Choose File>Save As File type AI
4. It will occur the pop up, choose OK
5. Then open Photoshop choose File>Open and open the AI file the you want to make the billboard or sign
6. It will occur the pop up that you need to change some paramaters which are ;
Crop to = Art Box (this means only crop the graphic area 10×5 cm from Illustrator)
Select check box of Anti-aliased
Width = 1000 cm ( this means the target width = 10 m)
Height = 500 cm (this means the target height = 5 m)
Select check box of Constrain Proportions
Resolution = 36 pixel/inch (this is flexible, depends on your Image Size)
Mode = CMYK
Bit Depth = 8 bit
7. They are complete to import AI file to Photoshop. You need to check the quality before printing by choose View>Print Size or View>Actual Pixels. If you don’t satisfy the quality, you need to increase the resolution by return to import file again. If it possible, don’t increase resolution when it had opened.
7. Please choose file type that the printer supports. In this case , we choose TIFF. ( most printer supports the type of file)
8. It will occur the TIFF Options pop up select LZW such a picture ( this means it will give you the smaller file size.)
9. Caution! don’t forget to check the file size the you expect to be.